Our sad IKEA Hemnes TV unit had seen better days. I've had this unit since 2010 and it has been though FOUR moves. One of those moves was to a storage unit, which is where I believe it suffered most of the injuries you see below [minus the scratches--those were most likely from our old dog, Sasha]. This poor piece had some nice dents and awesome scratches and just looked plain raggedy. Also, I was kind of over the super dark black-brown wood, since we have a smaller apartment. I've been finding myself shying away from dark furniture because I just feel like it makes the space feel even smaller. I could have made my life easier years ago and just bought the white stain one IKEA sells...but hey, a fixer upper is always fun too!
I turned to trusty Minwax for wood filler. I made sure to purchase a filler that could accept paint and stain. I had no problems using it at all. I applied with my finger and my putty knife over all the spots that I felt like needed it. I had let it dry a couple days before sanding it because I didn't have time to get to it before then. I just used a fine grit sanding block and went over each area I applied the filler just so that it was flush with the wood. I then used a tack cloth to wipe away and dust off the piece before I painted it.
Here's where things got interesting...I like to experiment and try different chalk type paints out there. I had read on another blog that this girl used this chalk type paint from Home Depot called Americana Decor. So I went out and got an 8oz can for about $9, thinking it would be plenty to cover my piece. Wrong--it was really thick and I wound up having to buy another 8oz can. [Duh, I know, I should've just added water] This is when I started kicking myself in the ass for not just going with Annie Sloan [and adding water]... but that required me to drive like 20 mins when I only wanted to drive 5 mins. Being lazy doesn't pay.
|See how from far away this old thing doesn't look so bad on the internet? |
Proving many projects you see on Pinterest that don't provide close ups probably look like shit in person.
So theeeeeen, I got my second can. Same deal, had them shake it in store. I shook it at home, stirred it up. And then I noticed something just wasn't right. It felt like there were huge chunks in the can...because there were. See? Total nightmare.
kind of definitely cursed a lot when this happened. But from that one time I made my own chalk type paint and almost failed, I remembered that water can save the day. So I added a little bit of water to some of the chunks that I poured into my paint can, and then stirred it up until I got the consistency I wanted. EEK! I don't know if I just got a bad batch, or it had been sitting on the shelf for two damn years, but I would say at this point I do NOT recommend this paint. In order to keep from ruining my piece, since even the first can the paint was very thick [but not at all like this second one], I lightly ran a fine grit sanding block over the piece to make sure I got out any little chunks the paint left behind and then I cleaned off the dust with a tack cloth.
Luckily, my piece SOMEHOW turned out exactly like I had wanted it too. Phew and amen. This is the area where I had applied a lot of the wood filler, and taken at the same angle as the photo above where I showed you how much I had to fill in. I'm very pleased with the results. You can barely tell there were icky dents!
I decided to distress just a little with a medium grit sanding block. I liked the way the black-brown color came through, and in some parts the original color of the wood. After distressing, I applied Annie Sloan clear wax with an old t-shirt, because I always have that handy and find it to be the best wax.
Even though I thought this paint was the devil, I like the strokes I got from it. And now our living room is a much happier and brighter place. Once I get my much hated olive green chair out of the right corner, I'll write a post sharing the whole living space.